Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11


Wow! It's so hard to believe that it's already been 5 years! I remember Septemeber 11, 2001 so clearly. I remember being shocked out of my mind at what was going on because it was all so confusing. At the time, I was a sophomore in college and I was getting ready for a class that I had at 10:00. I had a morning routine of getting up, taking a shower, and going into my room and listening to the radio while getting dressed. I just remember sitting down in front of my mirror (with the radio on), and doing my hair when an announcement came on the radio right in the middle of a song. I just recall listening to the morning personalities saying that a commercial plane hit one of the Twin Towers. I was thinking, "Damn, pilots are getting stupid if they can't avoid hitting buildings." At the time, terrorism was not on the minds of us common people like it is today. I was completely ignorant to the fact that this could have been an act of terrorism. The people on the radio were like, "Turn on you television immediately!." So I tuned in to CNN and unfortunately got a view of the second plane hitting. Still confused, and still dumbfounded, I didn't know what to think. However, I knew something wasn't right. The events following directly affected everything. There was no travel for a while. People were terrified of flying. Many sports events were canceled due to precautionary measures. I remember that our football team had a game the following weekend and it was re-scheduled. I eventually went on to class, and while we were there, the morning's events were all we discussed the entire time. While in class, we got word that another plane crashed into the Pentagon, and we were dismissed shortly after. Where where you on September 11 (or 9/11)? What did you think? This day is a day that has changed the thinking of Americans forever.

No comments: