Thursday, August 23, 2007

And the Oscar Goes to...


Jerome Bettis has a book coming out, "The Bus. My Life in and out of a Helmet," and in it he tells of how in 2000 he faked an injury to avoid being cut.

Bettis came into training camp with a knee that had been surgically repaired theprevious summer. Bettis, fearing he would be cut if the team knew how much the knee was injured, didn't say anything. During a short-yardage drill at an early camp practice, Bettis fell down, grabbed his knee and yelled in pain. "Man, did I do a nice job of acting,'' Bettis wrote in the book. "The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play. Otherwise, the Steelers would have had their reason to cut me and my salary."

And I ain't mad at him.

No comments: